This provides a step by step guide on how to deploy a self contained Dynatrace server inclusive of Dynatrace Server, Dynatrace Collector, Postgres and dependencies on CenturyLink utilizing blueprints. The blueprint will collect information necessary to enroll the user in the Dynatrace Free Trial program. Free Trial activation via email will result in generation of a Free Trial license.
- Starting from the CenturyLink Control Panel, navigate to the Blueprints Library.
- Search for “Dynatrace” in the keyword search on the right side of the page.
- Click the “Install Dynatrace Free Trial All In One” blueprint.
- Click “deploy blueprint” to begin the deploy process.
Customize and Deploy Blueprint
- On the first section of the first page, “Customize Blueprint”, ensure the following options are configured.
- Password/Confirm Password (This is the root password for the server. Keep this in a secure place).
- Set DNS to “Manually Specify” and use “184.108.40.206” (or any other public DNS server of your choice).
- Optionally set the server name prefix.
- Within Section 2 “Install Dynatrace Server AOI 220.127.116.1180 for Linux x86 64bit”
- specify Install directory, default is /opt/dynatrace-6.1.0
- Specify the password for the Postgres database admin account (postgres)
- Specify the password for the Dynatrace database account
- Enter your First Name, Last Name, Email Address and Company Name. This information will be used for enrollment in the free trial program.
- Click “next: step 2”
- Verify that all information is correct, and click “deploy blueprint”
- This will kick off the blueprint deploy process and load a page to allow you to track the progress of the deployment. Generally, it will take 5-10 minutes to configure all of the components.
Access and Configure Dynatrace on CenturyLink
- Once the process has completed you will need to determine the private IP address for the newly deployed host. This should be visible in the CenturyLink dashboard for the newly deployed server.
- In order to connect to Dynatrace, you will need to utilize the CenturyLink provided VPN: More information related to CenturyLink VPN connectivity can be found here: https://t3n.zendesk.com/entries/20914433-How-To-Configure-Client-VPN
- After connecting to the VPN, using the private IP address, navigate to the Dynatrace web interface at the following URL: http://<privateIP>:8020/
- Select the hyperlink for the Java webstart edition of Dynatrace
- Once the client is loaded, it will prompt you for a username and password, the username and password defaults to admin/admin
- Upon first connection, you will be required to load a Dynatrace License. This can be retrieved automatically using your Dynatrace Community credentials
- After the license is applied, the Dynatrace Sizing Wizard will prompt you for system size information. For this blueprint you will select Small. After the selection the Dynatrace server will ask you to automatically restart.
- Additionally, Dynatrace will need to be configured to store Performance Warehouse data on the pre-installed instance of Postgres. This can be done as follows:
- In the Dynatrace client menubar, select Server Configuration Server → Performance Warehouse
- Ignore the warning about the embedded database
- Select disconnect
- Select Postgres via the dropdown menu for Driver
- Database name is dynatrace
- User is dynatrace
- Password is as configured during blueprint deployment
- Host is localhost
- All other options can be defaults
- Select Test Connection
- Assuming the Test completed succesfully, select Connect
- Your Dynatrace server is now ready to begin the Free Trial! The free trial process is extensively documented on the Dynatrace Community. The following link will take you to first steps after installation (since this Blueprint handles installation tasks for you!): Community Portal - Free Trial - Step 2 - Activate License Key